If you're looking to reduce inflammation and speed up recovery, CBD might help. CBD is a compound found in cannabis and contains a whole host of benefits that have been proven in the scientific literature.
How does CBD Help with Inflammation? It's a complicated question. Part of the answer is that CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. Researchers in Europe published a paper showing how CBD contains pro-inflammatory cytokines like NF-kb, IL-2, and IL-1b. That makes CBD a helpful tool in fighting pain and inflammation. There is also evidence that CBD interacts with cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2. The receptors are found throughout the body. They are responsible for many things, including regulating pain and inflammation. When they're stimulated, they promote anti-inflammatory effects.
Other Benefits of CBD Oil & CBD Products
CBD has many other benefits apart from anti-inflammatory effects. Some of these benefits include:
1. Anxiety Treatment CBD is known to have an anti-anxiety effect. Some studies have shown that it reduces anxiety in people with social phobia. A Brazilian research group showed that CBD could improve the symptoms of generalized social anxiety disorder by close to 70%.
2. Reduce Diabetic Difficulties CBD could help reduce the difficulties of diabetes patients. Type 1 and type 2 diabetics have been shown to have reduced pain sensitivity. CBD oil could be used as a treatment for this condition. Additionally, CBD has been shown to reduce blood sugar levels and lower insulin resistance, which helps with diabetes.
3. Aids in Weight Loss If you want to lose weight, CBD oil may help you by reducing your appetite. A study by Dr. Frankel, published in the journal Psychopharmacology, found that CBD positively reduced eating in rats fed on a high-fat diet.
4. Anti-Cancer Effects CBD is effective in fighting cancer. An Australian study showed that CBD reduced tumor growth and prevented the tumor from spreading to other parts of the body. The anti-cancer benefits are believed to come from CBD's ability to reduce inflammation and block pain receptors to stop tumors from working.
5. Reduces Epileptic Seizures CBD is known to reduce epileptic seizures in patients with both Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Similarly, CBD is believed to have a more positive effect on the latter condition because it reduces the excessive activity in the brain that causes seizures.
6. Prevention of ALS Symptoms As many as 20,000 people in the U.S. are living with Lou Gehrig's disease. That number is expected to grow to 70,000 over the next few decades. CBD has shown promise by helping to prevent symptoms and slow the progression of this disease.
7. Treatment of Autoimmune Disorders CBD has also been shown to reduce inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease. An animal study published in the Journal of Molecular Medicine found that CBD can be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. Results showed that it decreased the severity of symptoms like joint pain and swelling when taken daily for just four weeks.
8. Helps with Psychotic Disorders CBD's anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce the symptoms of psychosis and schizophrenia. Studies have shown that it reduces the symptoms associated with these disorders by reducing inflammation in the brain. To sum it up, CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and this is why it is being used to treat chronic pain, inflammation, and even cancer.
If you are interested in trying it out, CBD oils are available online, and you can use them just like you would with other essential oils.
Photo courtesy of Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels